EcoSTP 2023 organizes a workshop about wastewater-based epidemiology (WBE). WBE has been around the last decades but has gained global attention as atool to track SARS-CoV-2 infection dynamics and its variants. In fact, Sewage surveillance programs have been launched across the globe and with the end of pandemic they are shifting to new biomarkers, highlighting that the potential of WBE extends much further. The field of WBE is currently at the exponential growth stage and needs to incorporate inputs from peripheral but related areas or it will reach a plateau in a few years. WBE should integrate advances in the fields of environmental and civil engineering and urban drainage. At the EcoSTP 2023 workshop we bring experts in water technology together, to discuss how this community can enhance the potential of WBE. Hence, we intend to collect inspiration from the water technologies sector; these ideas will be summarized as an infographic which will be then made public within the social networks.
16:00 Introduction to the topic
PART 1 : 16:05 – 16:35 National sewage surveillance networks.
- 16:05 – 16:15. SARS-CoV-2 surveillance in the wastewater of Stockholm and Malmö: the Swedish perspective (Zeynep Cetecioglu, Kungliga Tekniska Högskola (KTH))
- 16:15-16:25. Catalan Surveillance Network of SARS-CoV-2 in sewage: focus on variant analysis (Laura Guerrero-Latorre, Catalan Institute for Water Research (ICRA))
16:25-16:35. Discussion about national WBE surveillance approaches and strategies
PART 2 : 16:35 – 17:25 methodological issues (monitoring, modelling, analysis)
- 16:40 -16:50. Epidemiological modelling and WBE (Jorge Rodriguez, Khalifa University)
- 16:50 – 17:00. Development of a method to detect recent human adenovirus F41 variants in wastewater: Is it linked to the new acute hepatitis? (Mariel Perez-Zabaleta, Kungliga Tekniska Högskola (KTH))
- 16:55 – 17:10. Surveillance of SARS-CoV-2 in sewage from buildings housing residents with different vulnerability levels (Anna Pico-Tomàs, Catalan Institute for Water Research (ICRA))
17:10- 17:25 Discussion about methods and tools available for WBE surveillance
17:25- 17:30 Wrap up stating main conclusions which will be shared through social media.
Anyone participating at the conference is invited to join.